WATCHED THEM AGAIN. “The Hanoi Hilton.” / “Scarface.” / “The Deer Hunter.” / “Class of 1984.” / “Where the Red Fern Grows.”
“The Hanoi Hilton” (1987, Pluto TV) war film which focuses on the experiences of U.S. prisoners of war who were held in the infamous Hoa Lo Prison in Hanoi during the 1960s and 1970s.
I remember watching this movie in the big-screen moviehouse in Manila many years ago. I didn't know if I liked it then. Those were the years of kickass Vietnam War movies. Right off Francis Ford Coppola's “Apocalypse Now,” came Oliver Stone's “Platoon,” Stanley Kubrick's “Full Metal Jacket,” Barry Levinson's “Good Morning, Vietnam,” etcetera.
“The Hanoi Hilton” tried the dramatic path sans action sequences yet it came out as a melodramatic yarn. That's all. This movie was swallowed by the best of the genre in those years. 🎥💻📽
“Scarface” (1983, Amazon Prime) epic crime drama, directed by Brian De Palma and written by Oliver Stone. Al Pacino stars as Cuban refugee Tony Montana, who arrives in Miami during the Mariel boatlift and becomes a powerful drug lord.
This cult classic is based on the novel of the same name by Armitage Trail and a remake of the 1932 film of the same name by Howard Hawks.
"Scarface” works for all that we expect; a gangster movie with all its decadent cliches in-tact. Grandiose excess (sic) cartoonish mayhem, and an over-acting Al Pacino. But I am not saying this is an awful movie because it isn't. In fact, I think I saw it 5 times already. I still goof around impersonating Tony Montana, from time to time. 🎥💻📽
“The Deer Hunter” (1978, Fawesome) epic war drama. The lives of a trio of Russian-American steelworkers are upended by fighting in the Vietnam War. Stars Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken, and Meryl Streep.
Of course, I saw this movie when it was first out in moviehouses in the late 1980s. I think I saw it again 3 or 4 times. Again, weeks ago. Maybe I just wanted to watch the highlight Russian Roulette (“maw!”) sequences.
Awesome movie! 🎥💻📽
“Class of 1984” (1982, Filmrise) crime thriller. An idealistic new music teacher wages a violent, one-man vigilante war against a vicious punk gang ruling a dystopian inner-city high school.
I saw this movie while in college in Manila. High school in Catholic Philippines was definitely different so this was a very interesting watch at that time. Watching it now doesn't make it less unpleasant, illogically silly, or a melodramatic cliche.
This movie was originally rated x, then after cuts, it got an R. Yet it was banned in many countries due to the lewd content. Those scenes may well be PG these days, right?
Anyhow, what interests me now though is the development of the careers of Michael J. Fox and Timothy Van Patten after this movie. Only his second movie (in a supporting role), Mr Fox's next gig was the successful “Family Ties” (1982–1989) and then as Marty McFly in the “Back to the Future" film trilogy (1985–1990).
Mr Van Patten then had a hugely rewarding life as a TV director. He has received numerous accolades including two Emmy Awards, a Peabody Award, and two Directors Guild of America Awards, as well as nominations for two BAFTA Awards.
BTW, I again heard Alice Cooper's “I Am the Future.” Cool! 🎥💻📽
“Where the Red Fern Grows" (1974, Roku) drama. Based on Wilson Rawls' classic 1961 novel, the story follows a boy in the Ozarks who works tirelessly to buy and train two redbone coonhounds.
This is old-school cinema because it is an old movie. But it still exudes youthful charm, alluring drama, and down-home warmth. 🎥💻📽





Comments